Friday, August 8, 2014

Running Blog: Weeks 8-9


For these next two weeks I am participating in the beginning of a series of five GLOW camps in the Central District of Botswana. I will write a blog post about the camps later on. However, in summation, the camps are for four days each, and about 40 at-risk youth attend each camp. Sessions run from 8 am to 8 pm almost every day, and are on the topics of life skills, HIV/AIDS and gender-based violence.
Because of the camps, and how exhaustive they are, running for these next two weeks has been a little tricky. Because I am partially in charge of logistics, and am facilitating sessions, I have to get up very early and run (so early I have to run with my headlamp). Luckily, there are three other PCVs attending the camp with me who are also training for the marathon, and therefore also have to run early. It is exhausting but the exercise helps mitigate the general stresses of the camp.
In any event, running with a headlamp makes me feel badass. And like a true runner. And it isn’t as hard as I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment